The first step to launching your business as an independent producer is obtaining your insurance license.
If you live in Texas, you will need to apply for a Resident Producer's License with the Texas Department of Insurance (TDI).
To sell Medicare plans with ABC Medicare Plans, you will need to obtain an Accident & Health license. The Life Insurance license is not required, but many agents complete their requirements since most of the pre-licensing study courses cover that material.
You also may need a Life License to enroll your clients in additional coverage beyond Medicare plans.
The first step to getting licensed is to sign up for a study course that will help you prepare for the exam.
We recommend using LicenseCoach.com, an online study course (Discount Code:ABC4400).
As an ABC Medicare Plans candidate, you will receive a $140 discount when you enter our coupon code (see instructions below).
1) Enrollment instructions for LicenseCoach:
- Go to www.licensecoach.com and click "SIGN UP"
- Select Insurance Certification
- Choose your "State" and click "Go".
- Select your course
- Enter the coupon code ABC4400 in the appropriate box and click "Apply"
- Your ABC-discounted pricing is $59.99
- Normal website pricing is $199.00. That is a $140.00 savings!
- Enter your personal information
- Enter your payment information and click on "Place Order Now" to complete your purchase and begin studying.
2) Schedule your exam
There are several testing sites across the sate and you can choose where to take the exam.
You may contact Pearson Vue at https://home.pearsonvue.com/Clients/Texas-Department-of-Insurance.aspx to schedule your exam. The website will include a list of testing locations with contact information.
You may also review this TDI Candidate Information Booklet that outlines the entire process.
3) Take your exam
Your exam will consist of multiple-choice questions and will be taken on a computer at the testing location.
After submitting your exam, your results will be provided before you leave the location.
If you pass and qualify for a license, you will be provided with certification that will be needed to apply for your actual license.
If you fail, you will be allowed to reschedule your next attempt. Information will be provided to you each time before you leave the facility.
4) Schedule your fingerprinting appointment
Electronic fingerprinting appointments must be made through IdentoGO By MorphoTrust USA (formerly known as L1 Enrollment) by calling 888-467-2080 Monday through Friday, 8AM–5PM Central time, or by scheduling online at www.identogo.com. Use service code 11G6QF when making the appointment.
Read more about the electronic fingerprint process.
5) Get fingerprinted
Go to the designated fingerprint site at the appointed day/time, bringing along all required materials. All candidates are required to bring identification that is deemed acceptable, listed under Acceptable Forms of Candidate Identification, to the test center on the day of examination.
Acceptable Forms of Candidate Identification
Candidate must present two (2) forms of current signature identification. The name on the identification must exactly match the
name on the registration. The primary identification must be government issued, photo-bearing with a signature and the secondary
identification must contain a valid signature. Identification must be in English.
Primary ID (photograph, and signature, not expired)
• Government-issued Driver’s License
• U.S. Dept of State Drivers License
• U.S. Learner’s Permit (plastic card only with photo and signature)
• National/State/Country Identification Card
• Passport cards
• Military ID
• Military ID for spouses and dependents
• Alien Registration Card (Green Card, Permanent Resident Visa)
Secondary ID (signature, not expired)
• U.S. Social Security Card
• Debit (ATM) Card or Credit card
• Any form of ID on the Primary list
If the ID presented has an embedded signature that is not visible (microchip), or is difficult or impossible to read, the candidate must
present another form of identification from the Primary ID or Secondary ID list that contains a visible signature.
Pearson VUE does not recognize grace periods. For example, if a candidate’s driver’s license expired yesterday and the state allows a
30-day grace period for renewing the ID, the ID is considered to be expired.
6) Apply for your Texas license
You must apply and be issued an Texas insurance license in order to sell, solicit, or negotiate (or adjust) insurance in the state of Texas. If an exam was required, allow 3 business days for Pearson to provide the exam results to the Texas Insurance Department (TDI) electronically prior to applying.
- You must complete the application process within one year of passing the exam or the exam must be retaken.
- If you submit your application before taking the exam, you must: (1) pass your exam within one year of submitting the application, or (2) submit another application with a fee.
7) TDI will review your application
Submitting an application does not mean that a license was approved or issued. You will be notified (by the contact email address entered on the application) when the application is approved or if the TDI needs additional information. You may check the status of a license online using the Licensee Lookup tool.
Please allow 5 business days for TDI to review your application.
List of Opportunity Events
[events_list limit="5" pagination="1"]
ABC Medicare Help
4101 Perimeter Center Dr
Oklahoma City, OK 73112
844-940-4357 Toll Free